Youth Catechetical (Sunday) School
Bill Porter and Eleni Porter, Coordinators
MISSION: In the words of St. Paul in his letter to the Colossians, the Church’s mission is to . . . “present everyone as fully mature in virtue of their union with Christ” (Colossians 1:28). To encourage and develop this enduring and personal communion with the Holy Trinity, we need to; be invested in worship in the Divine Liturgy, honor the Church’s Holy Traditions, and grow in our knowledge and practice of the Holy Scriptures. These are the keys to our growth in grace.
OBJECTIVES: To provide foundational and practical Orthodox Christian Education from pre-school age children through mature adult. This is to be accomplished by:
- Providing separate age group classes with age appropriate and age relevant curriculum.
- Providing students with a comprehensive, working knowledge of Orthodox beliefs and practices.
- Tailoring teaching to answer questions and assist students in facing real world challenges to their faith.
- Providing students with the spiritual and moral foundations to address their varied and complex spiritual, intellectual, psychological and emotional needs.
- Fostering and developing mature and committed Orthodox Christians with an Orthodox world view.
• All classes will begin at 9:00 am and dismiss at 10:00 am
• All students and parents are encouraged to attend the Divine Liturgy together.
• Students and parents are encouraged to be involved in special events sponsored through the Sunday school program (i.e. Christmas Pageant, Oratorical Festival, etc.).
October (Service/Missions Month, "Make a Diff. Day")
28 Music with Nina
November (Bailey's Shelter & Giving Tree Orphan Month)
11 Christmas pageant sign-up forms due; Music with Nina; Youth Church Duty
18 Lip balms for shelter due
25 NO CLASS (Happy Thanksgiving!)
December (Christmas Pageant)
02 Music with Nina; Christmas pageant FULL rehearsal from 12-2 pm; Assemble survival kits.
09 (no class/modified schedule) - Christmas Pageant after Liturgy; Youth Church Duty
16 Music with Nina; Snow day for pageant; Greek School kalanda
22 (Saturday) 6:30 p.m. Assemble lunches and gifts for homeless in D.C.
23 NO CLASS (Merry Christmas!)
25 (Tuesday) - 8:30 a.m. Youth (13+) meet in M-C Hall to deliver D.C.’s homeless bags
30 NO CLASS (Happy New Year!)
January (Oratorical Festival Month)
06 Classes resume; Oratorical Festival registrations (grades 7th – 12th) begin
13 GOYA NYC trip; Music with Nina; Youth Church Duty
27 Oratorical Festival registration ends; Music with Nina
February (Missions Fundraising Month)
03 Godparent Sunday
10 Youth Church Duty; Music with Nina
17 Sunday of Publican & Pharisee; Distribute OCMC Coin Boxes; Teachers’ meeting/lunch
24 Sunday of Prodigal Son (Squandering); Music with Nina
March (Lenten Season)
03 Judgment Sunday (Meat-fare Sunday); Oratorical Festival 1st-6th grades
10 (Daylight Savings Time) Forgiveness Sunday; Music with Nina; Youth Church Duty;
17 Sunday of Orthodoxy; Oratorical Festival (7th-12th grades)
24 Music with Nina
31 Youth Church Duty; Jeopardy (Grades 1-3)
April (Month of Clothing (or Other) Drive)
07 Jeopardy (Grades 4-6); Music with Nina
14 NO CLASS (beginning of Spring Break)
20 Saturday of Lazarus (Liturgy, BYO Lenten lunch, make palm crosses)
21 NO CLASS (Palm Sunday)
26 (Friday) Decorate Epitaphio & prepare church
28 NO CLASS (Pascha) Christos Anesti! Christ is Risen!
May (Teacher Appreciation Month)
05 Collect OCMC coin boxes; Teachers’ End-of-Year Luncheon
12 Youth Church Duty; Music with Nina