Panos Lagos, President
Mission Statement: The mission and goal of the GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America) ministry, is to lead our young people, ages 13-18, into experiencing the Holy Orthodox Faith. By developing a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and becoming active sacramental members of the living Church, our young people will be equipped with tools necessary to assist them in their journey toward salvation. The National Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries recommends that the GOYA ministry be based on the following four characteristics: Worship (Liturgia), Fellowship (Koinonoia), Service (Diakonia), and Witness (Martyria).
NEW! Please like and view our Facebook page for all information, news, and announcements!
If you would like to be added to, or removed from, the GOYA email distribution list, please email Nick Junes at email@example.com
Click here for GOYA's online calendar (subject to change).
Click here for a health/registration form. Forms must be turned in to Presv. Pauline Pavlakos or Mrs. Maria Wills before GOYAns can participate in any activities. GOYAns must also pay dues of $30 per year.
Check out Be the Bee (www.youtube.com/y2am and BeTheBee.goarch.org), A weekly video series produced by the Department of Youth and Youth Adult Ministries (Y2AM). Find God in everything, every day, share the gift of the Gospel. A new episode every Thursday!
GOYA BOARD 2016-2017
President: Panos Lagos
1st Vice President: Stephanie Vazquez
2nd Vice President: Alexandra Lagos
Treasurer: Alex Cameron
Recording Secretary: Stratis Bohle
Corresponding Secretary: Iliana Tzafolias
Historian: Anna Moratis
Sergeants at Arms: Niko Bohle and Maria Wuerker
Faye Kranis, Girls Coach: 571-214-4835
UPCOMING GOYA ACTIVITIES (subject to change) PLEASE MARK ON YOUR CALENDARS!
We try to offer many different activities to our teenagers, realizing that not everyone is interested in the same things. If you have an idea that is not presented on this page, please contact Fr. Costa Pavlakos, Nick Junes, Presv. Pauline Pavlakos or Mrs. Maria Wills.
Youth Church Duty Schedule and Captains/Epistle Readers**
- April 23: Alex Cameron, Captain and Epistle Reader
- May 14: Sunday School rep, Captain and Epistle Reader
AdBook Sales Table - Sundays
GOYA will have a table outside the Big Hall after Sunday Liturgy to sell ads. This table requires 2 GOYAns each Sunday.
This is a list of tournaments in which we will, most likely, participate during the 2016-2017 GOYA year. More will be added as we receive invitations and our calendar permits. We go to one "away" tournament where we spend the night). Fr. Costa must approve our participation in any GOYA-sponsored event. GOYAns must be in church (on time) for Liturgy, help at our church festivals, and participate in at least one GOYA community service project (Feed the Homeless in DC on Christmas morning and/or Feed the Homeless at Bailey's Crossroads Homeless Shelter in January) in order to participate in tournaments. Remember, if there was no Greek Orthodox Church, we would not have GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America) basketball.
- April 22-23, 2017: Our Tournament
- April 29-30, 2017: Saint Demetrios, Baltimore
- May 6-7, 2017: Saint Nicholas, Baltimore
- May 13-14,2017: Saints Constantine and Helen, Annapolis
Movie Night, TBD
GOYA will have a movie night fundraiser. The entire community will be invited. Stratis Bohle is the chairman.
Project Lazarus, Friday March 31 - Saturday April 1
Wonderful ministry opportunity! GOYAns and Sunday School students will assemble and distribute bags with food and clothing, much like what we do for our Feeding the Homeless in DC on Christmas Day project. Assemble bags at church 6pm Friday night, then meet 7:30am Saturday morning for distribution.
GOYA Meeting and Parents Meeting - Sunday, 4/2
- We will have a GOYA meeting Sunday, April 2nd after Divine Liturgy in the Board Room
- All GOYAns and Parents are encouraged to attend
- This will be in the same location as last week (conference rooms)
Fold Palms into Crosses, April 8, 2017.
We will fold palms into crosses on Saturday, April 8 following Liturgy for Saturday of Lazarus. (Please participate in the Liturgy.)
Altar Boy Retreat, Decorate Kouvouklion, and Prepare Church for Easter, April 14, 2017.
We will decorate the Kouvouklion and prepare the church for Easter following the Hours on Good Friday, April 14. (Please participate in the Hours at 9:00am.)
Our 2017 Tournament, April 22-23, 2017, Elena Lagos, Chairman.
Our tournament will be held April 22-23, 2017. Saturday's games will be held at Kenmore Middle School, 200 S. Carlin Springs Road, Arlington, VA 22204. Saturday's dinner and dance, and Sunday's lunch and games, will be at Saint Katherine Church. All GOYAns are expected to participate in the liturgy which begins at 10:00am.
- Invitations are sent out
- Follow-up email on invitations to anticipated churches has been sent out
- Chairperson is Elena Lagos - firstname.lastname@example.org
- We need volunteers! See the link below for all sign-ups!
- We're using SignUp.com (the leading online SignUp and reminder tool) to organize our upcoming SignUps.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our SignUp on SignUp.com: http://signup.com/go/Z8t1X7
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.
St. Demetrios Baltimore - Basketball Tournament - 4/29-4/30
- Saint Katherine GOYA has registered two teams: Boys B and Girls B.
Individual player fees ($50.00) and non-player ($25.00) will be collected at the Saturday morning check-in/registration on April 29. We will need to have one combined check for all players, so please, if you plan on participating, let your coaches know and have your payment to Saint Katherine GOYA in before this day.
The games on Saturday will be played at:
The Park School
2425 Old Court Road
Baltimore, Maryland, 21208
The Saturday evening dinner/dance as well as Sunday games will be held at:
The Hermes Center at Saint Demetrios
2504 Cub Hill Road
Baltimore, Maryland, 21234
Sunday's lunch will be served immediately following Divine Liturgy. We ask that all GOYAns are in church by 10am.
There is a reserved block of rooms at:
Hampton Inn White Marsh
8225 Town Center Drive
Baltimore, Maryland, 21236
The special single room group rate is $139.00 plus tax.
The group ID that should be referenced for the special rate is:
GOY376264 - Make Reservation by March 25, 2017
- $150 / team - $50 / GOYAn - $25 / non-player GOYAn
- Please sign-up and register with the Basketball coaches with payment.
- Registration is due this week! Please register with Coaches
- Location is The Park School of Baltimore, 2425 Old Court Road, Baltimore, MD 21208
- If you are interested in attending you must tell your coaches so we can register our teams
- $50 per player, $25 per non-player
- Final GOYA basketball tournament of 2017
- Individual player fee ($45)
- May 14th is Mother's Day, special surprises for mom's in attendance
- Mike Brown, Annapolis GOYA advisor, says hotel rooms can fill up fast and we need to contact him if we want hotel rooms, email@example.com
- The games on Saturday will be played at two facilities:
SS Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church
2747 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD, 21401
- Annapolis High School - 2700 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD, 21401
- Saturday Evening/Sunday games are at the church
Orthdox Youth Day at Kings Dominion. The date for this regional event has not yet been determined. Most years, Orthodox Youth from the Virginia, Maryland, and DC area come together at Kings Dominions for Orthodox Youth Day on the Tuesday after Fairfax County Schools end for the year. For a set fee (usually around $50), participants enjoy admission to the park and an all-you-can-eat dinner. If someone has a pass to Kings Dominion, they can purchase a meal ticket and join everyone for the meal. All youth (and parents) of our community are invited. Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent.
Camp Good Shepherd: Virginia, July 2-8, Camp Piankatank, 1586 Stampers Bay Road, Hartfield, Virginia 23071.
Camp Good Shepherd for youth ages 10-18, will be held July 2-8. Please contact Fr. Costa for more information or look to the monthly DOXA.
Other Activities (dates to be determined)
- Fireside Chats with Fr. Costa
- Ice Skating
- Movie Nights
- GMU Basketball Game
- Memorial Day Weekend Pool Party
- Overnight Trip to Busch Gardens
- Habitat-for-Humanity type project
Archdiocesan GOYA Guidelines
These Archdiocesan Guidelines are offered to assist the local parish in continuing to create, enhance, and improve their GOYA ministries. These are guidelines – not by-laws. They are in no way intended to be the ultimate authority in GOYA programming. Rather, they are intended to guide the youth worker in the fundamental tenets of the GOYA ministry. These Guidelines have been reviewed and revised by the Archdiocese Youth and Young Adult Ministry Team, which is comprised of each Diocese (now Metropolis) Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry throughout our Archdiocese.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
*The office of president shall be served by a high school senior. If no senior runs for the office of president, a junior may serve. The president may serve no more than one 1-year term, to allow for more GOYAns to have that leadership experience which will enable him/her to put that information on their college applications. In order to hold an office on the GOYA board, the GOYAn's parent(s) must be stewards of Saint Katherine Greek Orthodox Church. In addition, in order to hold the office of president, the GOYAn must have served on the GOYA board in another leadership capacity for at least one year.
**Again this year (the second year), GOYA and Sunday School will share the responsibility and honor of serving Church Duty. GOYAns must participate in the Liturgy in some way on church duty Sundays (in the pew, in the altar, or in the choir). Fr. Costa expects regular (weekly) participation of GOYAns in the Divine Liturgy.