Mission Statement: The mission and goal of the GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America) ministry, is to lead our young people, grades 7-12, into experiencing the Holy Orthodox Faith. By developing a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and becoming active sacramental members of the living Church, our young people will be equipped with tools necessary to assist them in their journey toward salvation. The National Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries recommends that the GOYA ministry be based on the following four characteristics: Worship (Liturgia), Fellowship (Koinonoia), Service (Diakonia), and Witness (Martyria).
- For all questions, concerns, comments, suggestions, please email Nick Junes, Pastoral Assistant and Youth Director, at email@example.com
- Please like and view our Facebook page!
- Join the GOYA email distribution list, please email Nick Junes at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here for GOYA's online calendar (subject to change).
- Check out Be the Bee (www.youtube.com/y2am and BeTheBee.goarch.org)
REGISTER AND JOIN GOYA!
- New GOYANs must fill out a health/registration form. Forms must be turned in to Nick Junes
- GOYAns must also pay dues of $30 per year
GOYA BOARD 2017/2018: Elections to be held September 24th
- President: Maria Wuerker
- 1st Vice President: Stefano Falcon
- 2nd Vice President: Maria Euripedes
- Treasurer: Maria Sarantis
- Recording Secretary: Andrew Chelpon
- Corresponding Secretary: Iliana Tzafolias
- Historian: Anna Moratis
- Sergeants at Arms: Alexandra Lagos and Ariana Porter
- Fr. Costa Pavlakos, Spiritual Advisor, 571-213-1109
- Nick Junes, Youth Director, 804-874-8838
- Presv. Pauline Pavlakos, 703-239-2627
- Maria Wills, 703-409-3041
BOYS BASKETBALL COACHES
GIRLS BASKETBALL COACH
- Faye Kranis, Girls Coach: 571-214-4835
Fall 2017 Calendar
12/2-12/3 – SAT-SUN – St. George Bethesda GOYA Tournament
12/5 – TUE – Bible Study and Fellowship
12/17 – SUN – Youth Church Duty/GOYA Meeting
12/19 – TUE – Bible Study and Fellowship
12/23 – SAT – Service Saturday – Assemble Bags for Homeless
*Christmas Party - TBD
Saint Katherine GOYA Expectations
- Good Attitude
- Welcoming of everyone – smile!
- No bullying
- No “cool cards”
- Respect toward clergy, parents, coaches, elders, etc.
- Participation in Saint Katherine Community
- Church – ask parents to bring you to Liturgy
- Sunday School
- Greek Festival
- If someone asks you to do something then please do it, etc.
- Youth Church Duty / GOYA Meeting Sundays
- Sign-up for Epistle Reading
- Help pass trays, assist in Narthex
- Attend GOYA meetings
- AdBook Sales
- Each GOYAN is required to sell three (3) ads
- This is our biggest fundraiser!
- Doesn’t matter if you play basketball or not
- Service Saturdays
- Come to at least one Service Saturday
- It is good for your soul
- All-Around GOYAN
- Not just basketball
- Camps, fellowship, Bible study, retreats, move night, etc.
- Have FUN!
- Enjoy GOYA!
- Get others involved
- If you’re not having fun, let Nick know
Youth Church Duty Schedule and Captains/Epistle Readers
- One Sunday a month our youths are expected to help serve the church
- Please participate as helping in the narthex, altar, or choir
- We need one GOYAN to read the Epistle in English and Greek Please sign up here!
Bible Study and Fellowship
- We will be having a bi-weekly GOYA Bible Study and Fellowship
- Discuss our faith and enjoy fellowship!
- Please sign-up to be a host
- We participate in roughly one basketball per month.
- We go to one "away" tournament where we spend the night.
- Fr. Costa must approve our participation in any GOYA-sponsored event.
Good Shepherd Virginia - July 8-14th!
- This is an overnight summer camp for the state of Virginia in the Metropolis of New Jersey.
- It is an opportunity for the youth of our communities to come together from all over the state to develop lasting relationship with their peers and with Christ and their Orthodox Christian faith.
- The camp is headed by the local clergy and youth directors and staffed with well trained college and young adult counselors.
- They will be participating in various outdoor activities (canoeing, rock wall climbing, archery, etc), skits, Olympics, bonfires and more.
- They will also learn about their Orthodox Faith and participate in the rhythms of the liturgical life of our beautiful Orthodox Church.
- Youtube Promo Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReHaDLln3BA&t=62s
- Where? The Camp is located at Camp Piankatank (1586 Stampers Bay Rd, Hartfield, VA 23071)
- The camp is a stunning property located right along the Piankatank River.
- Camp is for kids who have completed 5th grade through 12th grade. kids will be placed in cabins with trained counselors of kids of their own age and gender.
- Camp is run in the cabins by college age and young adult counseling staff who have gone through an Archdiocese training program and are thoroughly prepared for the rigors of the week.
- The staff that we assemble every year are there because they Christ and their Orthodox faith and want to share this with the children.
- Amazing opportunity for our youth to go to Tijuana, Mexico and build a home for a homeless family!
- Stay at Saint Innocent Orphanage
- Meet tons of other Orthodox Christians on a mission trip
- Experience the world from a much different perspective
- Get "off the grid" spend a lot of time outdoors
Archdiocesan GOYA Guidelines
These Archdiocesan Guidelines are offered to assist the local parish in continuing to create, enhance, and improve their GOYA ministries. These are guidelines – not by-laws. They are in no way intended to be the ultimate authority in GOYA programming. Rather, they are intended to guide the youth worker in the fundamental tenets of the GOYA ministry. These Guidelines have been reviewed and revised by the Archdiocese Youth and Young Adult Ministry Team, which is comprised of each Diocese (now Metropolis) Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry throughout our Archdiocese.
*The office of president shall be served by a high school senior. If no senior runs for the office of president, a junior may serve. The president may serve no more than one 1-year term, to allow for more GOYAns to have that leadership experience which will enable him/her to put that information on their college applications. In order to hold an office on the GOYA board, the GOYAn's parent(s) must be stewards of Saint Katherine Greek Orthodox Church. In addition, in order to hold the office of president, the GOYAn must have served on the GOYA board in another leadership capacity for at least one year.